Harrods in Brompton Road was named after Henry Harrod, a wholesale tea merchant from the East End, who took over a small shop in Knightsbridge in 1849

The store was destroyed by fire in 1883 and re-built a year later. In 1898, the first escalator in London was installed here.

Store expansion was completed by 1939 and it is now one of the world’s largest, and probably one of its most expensive, stores.

click to view map and street view